"Where there is peace, God is." ~George Herbert

"Carve your blessings in stone." ~Anon
"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn
"Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient." ~Cicero Ovid Seneca

"May your pen happily writes ...™ ©Leah C Dancel

5/14/11

Michel Eyquem de Montaigne Quotes


"A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.” ~Michel de Montaigne

"A wise man never loses anything, if he has himself." ~Michel de Montaigne from BrainyQuote

"Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our ass." - Michel de Montaigne

"He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak." ~Montaigne

"He who has not a good memory should never take upon himself the trade of lying." ~Michel Eyquem De Montaigne

"I care not so much what I am in the opinion of others as what I am in my own; I would be rich of myself and not by borrowing." ~Montaigne

"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly." ~Michel de Montaigne

"I quote others only to better express myself." ~Michel E. de Montaigne

“If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.” ~Michel de Montaigne

"It is good to run and polish your mind against the minds of others." ~Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

"Lend yourself to others, but give yourself to yourself." ~Montaigne

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself, and apply myself to them if they will not apply themselves to me." ~Montaigne

"Nothing fixes a thing so intensely in the memory as the wish to forget it." ~Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)

"The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself." ~Michel de Montaigne

"The most certain sign of wisdom is continual cheerfulness; her state is like the things above the moon, always clear and serene." ~Michael de Montaigne

"The pleasantest things in the world are pleasant thoughts: and the great art of life is to have as many of them as possible." ~Montaigne

"The strongest, most generous, and proudest of all virtues is true courage." ~Michel de Montaigne

"The value of life is not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them; a man may live long yet very little." ~Michel de Montaigne

“There is no man so good, who, were he to submit all his thoughts and actions to the laws, would not deserve hanging ten times in his life.” ~Michel Eyquem De Montaigne on Virtue

"Traveling through the world produces a marvelous clarity in the judgment of men. We are all of us confined and enclosed within ourselves, and see no farther than the end of our nose. This great world is a mirror where we must see ourselves in order to know ourselves. There are so many different tempers, so many different points of view, judgments, opinions, laws and customs to teach us to judge wisely on our own, and to teach our judgment to recognize its imperfection and natural weakness." ~Michel de Montaigne

"We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, but we cannot be wise with other men's wisdom." ~Michel de Montaigne

"When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind." ~Michel de Montaigne

♥♥♥

Biography

Michel de Montaigne
Writer
Michel Eyquem de Montaigne was one of the most influential writers of the French Renaissance, known for popularizing the essay as a literary genre. Wikipedia
Died: September 13, 1592, Château de Montaigne, Saint-Michel-de-Montaigne, France

╔═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╗
Thank You
╚═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╝