"Where there is peace, God is." ~George Herbert

"Carve your blessings in stone." ~Anon
"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn
"Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient." ~Cicero Ovid Seneca

"May your pen happily writes ...™ ©Leah C Dancel

4/15/11

ABRAHAM LINCOLN Quotes

"When you have got an elephant by the hind legs, and he is trying to run away, it is best to let him run." ~Abraham Lincoln, 28 June 2012 entry
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." ~Abraham Lincoln, "House Divided" Speech (1858)

"A man is about as happy as he makes up his mind to be." ~Abraham Lincoln

"All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." ~Abraham Lincoln

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?" ~Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~Abraham Lincoln

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm." ~Abraham Lincoln

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people" ~Abraham Lincoln

“Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"Die when I may, I want it said of me that I plucked a weed and planted a flower where ever I thought a flower would grow." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Fellow citizens, we cannot escape history." ~Abraham Lincoln on Citizenship

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." ~Abraham Lincoln

"God bless my mother; all I am or hope to be I owe to her." ~Abraham Lincoln

"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I am a slow walker, but I never walk backwards." ~Abe Lincoln

"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." ~Abraham Lincoln

“I am not discouraged because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” ~Abraham Lincoln

“I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends" ~Abraham Lincoln

"I do not like that man. I must get to know him better." - Abraham Lincoln

"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I do the very best I can, I mean to keep going. If the end brings me out all right, then what is said against me won't matter. If I'm wrong, ten angels swearing I was right won't make a difference." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I don’t like to hear cut and dried sermons. No – when I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees." ~Abraham Lincoln

“I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I never had a policy; I have just tried to do my very best each and every day." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life" ~Abraham Lincoln

"I walk slowly, but I never walk backward." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I will prepare and some day my chance will come." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I would rather be a little nobody, than to be an evil someday." ~Abraham Lincoln

"If friendship is your weakest point then you are the strongest person in the world." ~Abraham Lincoln

“If I were to try to read, much less answer all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I can and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won’t amount to anything. But if the end brings me out wrong, ten angelthe s of God swearing I was right would make no difference.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"If you want to achieve success, keep believing in yourself even when nobody else does." ~Abraham Lincoln 

"If you want to gather honey, don’t kick over the beehive." ~Abraham Lincoln

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~Abraham Lincoln

"It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him." ~Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Let the people know the truth and the country is safe"~Abraham Lincoln

"Let's "greet this day with a forgiving spirit!" ~Abraham Lincoln

"Live a good life. And n the end, it's not the years in a life, it's the life in the years." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Love is the chain whereby to bind a child to its parents." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." ~Abraham Lincoln

"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." ~Abraham Lincoln

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Nations do not die from invasion; they die from internal rottenness." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." ~Abraham Lincoln

"No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy." ~Abraham Lincoln

"No man is good enough to govern another man without the other's consent." ~Abraham Lincoln

"No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens." ~Abraham Lincoln

"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." ~Abraham Lincoln

"The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time." ~ABRAHAM LINCOLN, AMERICAN PRESIDENT

"The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend." ~Abraham Lincoln

"The best way to predict the future is to create it." ~Abraham Lincoln

"The better part of one's life consists of his friendships." ~Abraham Lincoln

"The probability that we may fail in our struggle ought not to deter  us from the support of a cause we believe to be just. " ~Abraham Lincolm 

"The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left after those who hustle." ~Abraham Lincoln


"This nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."~Abraham Lincolm

"Those who cannot stand to fight for Liberty and Dignity, deserve none." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." ~Abraham Lincoln


"We can complain because rose 🌹 bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses " ~Abraham Lincoln

"We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated by unbroken success, we have become too self sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving Grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~Abraham Lincoln

"When I'm getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one-third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say and two-thirds thinking about him and what he is going to say." ~Abraham Lincoln

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." ~Abraham Lincoln

“With the catching ends the pleasure of the chase” ~Abraham Lincoln

"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die." ~Abraham Lincoln

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." ~President Abraham Lincoln

Source: FB 

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." ~Abraham Lincoln, 16th US President, (1809-1865)

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." ~Abraham Lincoln

“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong; You cannot help the poor by discouraging the rich; You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer; You cannot further the brotherhood by inciting class hatred among men.” ~Abraham Lincoln

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." ~Abraham Lincoln

═══════════════

The character of the sixteenth President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln:

“In temper he was Earnest, yet controlled, frank, yet sufficiently guarded, patient, yet energetic, forgiving, yet just to himself; generous yet firm.”

“His conscience was the strongest element of his nature. His affections were tender and warm. His whole nature was simple and sincere – he was pure, and then was himself.”

“Such a nature was admirably constituted to direct an heroic struggle on the part of a people proud enough to prefer a guide to a leader, a man commissioned to execute the popular will but, as in his case, strong enough to enforce his own.”

BIO

Lincoln was a role model for character, integrity, and honesty, traits that never left him throughout the trials and tribulations of leading a country during one of the worst periods of its history.

Of course Lincoln was president during the 19th century when character was a highly-regarded quality. According to historian Warren Susman in his book Culture as History, the use of the word “character” peaked in the 19th century. “

Character was a key word in the vocabulary of Englishmen and Americans,” says Susman, and so important to society that it was promoted as an essential component of one’s identity.


╔═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╗
THANK YOU
╚═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╝