"Where there is peace, God is." ~George Herbert

"Carve your blessings in stone." ~Anon
"I expect to pass through life but once. If therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn
"Dictum sapienti sat est - A word to a wise person is sufficient." ~Cicero Ovid Seneca

"May your pen happily writes ...™ ©Leah C Dancel

1/21/12

JANE AUSTEN Quotes


"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” ~Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.” ~Mr.  Bennett, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"And sometimes I have kept my feelings to myself because I could find no language to describe them in." ~Jane Austen 

“Do not consider me now as an elegant female, intending to play you, but as a rational creature, speaking the truth from her heart.” ~Elizabeth Bennett, JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"Every man is surrounded by a neighbourhood of voluntary spies." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

“Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies, do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love." ~Jane Austen, from Northanger Abbey

“From the very beginning—from the first moment, I may almost say—of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish distain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of the disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world on whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.” ~Elizabeth Bennett, JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"Give a girl an education, and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without farther expense to any body." -Jane Austen, MANSFIELD PARK

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

“I come here with no expectations, only to profess, now that I am at liberty to do so, that my heart is and always will be yours.” ~Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.” ~Elizabeth Bennett, JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

 "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library." ~Jane Austen

"I was quiet but I was not blind." ~Jane Austen

"If I was wrong in yielding to persuasion once, remember that it was to persuasion exerted on the side of safety, not of risk. When I yielded, I thought it was to duty; but no duty could be called in aid here. In marrying a man indifferent to me, all risk would have been incurred, and all duty violated." ~Anne Elliott from PERSUASION by Jane Austen

"In every power, of which taste is the foundation, excellence is pretty fairly divided between the sexes." ~Jane Austen

“Is not general incivility the very essence of love?" ~Elizabeth Bennett in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of any fortune whatsoever must be in want of an unending list of places she should go to meet a man." ~Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice

"My characters shall have, after a little trouble, all that they desire." ~Jane Austen

"No man is offended by another man's admiration of the woman he loves; it is the woman only who can make it a torment." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

"Nobody, who has not been in the interior of a family, can say what the difficulties of any individual of that family may be." ~Jane Austen, EMMA

"Nothing amuses me more than the easy manner with which everybody settles the abundance of those who have a great deal less than themselves." ~Jane Austen from "Mansfield Park"

“One cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

"Reflection must be reserved for solitary hours; whenever she was alone, she gave way to it as the greatest relief; and not a day went by without a solitary walk." ~Jane Austen

“Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised or a little mistaken.” ~Jane Austen, Emma

“The distance is nothing when one has motive.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

"The power of doing anything with quickness is always prized much by the possessor, and often without any attention to the imperfection of the performance." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

"There are as many forms of love as there are moments in time." ~Jane Austen

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

"There are people who the more you do for them, the less they will do for themselves." ~Jane Austen from "Emma" (1815)

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart." ~Jane Austen

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves." ~Jane Austen (1775-1817)

“There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ~Jane Austen, NORTHANGER ABBEY

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." ~Jane Austen, from EMMA (1775-1817)

"There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me." ~Jane Austen, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (Elizabeth Bennett)

“There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere.” ~Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

“Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.” ~Elizabeth Bennett in JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love...." ~Jane Austen

"‘To sit in the shade on a fine day, and look upon verdure, is the most perfect refreshment.’” ~Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

"Vanity working on a weak head, produces every sort of mischief." ~Mr. Knightley to Mrs. Weston from EMMA by Jane Austen

“What are men to rocks and mountains?” ~Elizabeth Bennett in JA's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

"You must be the best judge of your own happiness." ~Jane Austen

═══════════════

OTHERS

"Always--no modern author even comes close! Although her world was limited, she had an excellent grasp of human nature and matters of the heart as she was such an observer of those around her and the situations they created. She understood the value of true love, not just attraction, and had a keen insight and talent for depicting where both can lead. As a romantic, I also prefer a film adaptation of any of her books over anything else. No amount of special effects or gratuitous sex can replace a good story and pure romance. I would rather rewatch her movies than see the things that are considered sensational by today's twisted standards. Thank you Jane for your priceless gift you shared with the ages!" ~Donna Drudingn on Jane Austen

╔═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╗
THANK YOU
╚═════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ═════╝